Florida Elmiron Attorney
Physicians have been prescribing Elmiron to treat a bladder condition for decades, but medical researchers recently discovered that patients who took the drug have an increased risk of developing serious eye disorders. A study conducted by the American Academy of Ophthalmology reveals that Elmiron is harmful to the retina, potentially leading to eye damage and long-term vision consequences. As a result, numerous class actions and other lawsuits are currently pending across the US.
If you suffered eye damage or vision-related conditions after taking Elmiron for interstitial cystitis, you may be eligible to recover monetary damages through legal action. Our lawyers at Halpern Santos & Pinkert, P.A. have in-depth knowledge about the relevant laws, so we are prepared to fight for your rights. Please contact our firm to schedule a free consultation with a Florida Elmiron attorney, and check out some basic information about your options.
Elmiron Can Cause Serious Eye Diseases
Doctors prescribe the drug to alleviate the pain and discomfort caused by interstitial cystitis, a condition that affects the bladder. Researchers eventually discovered a link between the drug and certain vision-related conditions when patients complained of such symptoms as:
- Blurred and dark vision;
- Difficulties focusing on items at the center field of vision;
- Problems reading small text;
- Inability to adjust vision in low light; and,
- Not seeing a full range of colors.
These symptoms indicated various disorders related to maculopathy, macular degeneration, and other conditions that are irreversible and permanent. Note that some individuals experienced symptoms and were diagnosed with vision disorders years after they stopped taking Elmiron.
Legal Basis for Elmiron Lawsuits
You have legal rights as a patient any time a dangerous drug causes harm, but there were some unique factors related to Elmiron and the response by its manufacturer. A few troubling issues include:
- When ophthalmologists and researchers discovered the link between eye disorders and Elmiron, they took a closer look at the clinical trials. The investigation revealed that the manufacturer was aware of how the drug affected vision issues.
- Despite evidence exposing this link, the manufacturer refused to issue a recall.
- Even when it became aware of the risks, the manufacturer failed to include warnings on the labeling for Elmiron.
Based upon this misconduct, you could qualify to recover compensation for losses caused by taking Elmiron. Our team at Halpern Santos & Pinkert, P.A. will seek all monetary damages allowed by law, so you may be entitled to:
- Costs of medical treatment for your eye or vision disorder;
- Lost income, if you were unable to work because of vision loss;
- Pain and suffering; and,
- Other amounts related to how your injuries affect your quality of life.
Discuss Your Legal Options with a Florida Elmiron Lawyer
This overview should be helpful in explaining the basics behind Elmiron lawsuits, but the legal details and litigation process are extremely complex. To ensure you get the compensation you deserve, please contact Halpern Santos & Pinkert, P.A by calling 305-445-1111 or filling out an online form. We can set up a no-cost consultation at our Coral Gables, FL offices to review your circumstances and determine the best strategy for proceeding with your case.