A Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) is a term that is generally used to describe a vehicle that is similar to a station wagon, but built on a light truck chassis. SUVs oftentimes have four-wheel drive capability and almost always have some sort of off-road driving ability. There are many different types of SUVs, including large, small, 2-door and 4-door varieties. Some of the most common SUVs found in the United States include the Ford Explorer, Chevy Trailblazer and the Jeep Wrangler.
SUVs present a unique issue in accident cases because many times SUVs are involved in single vehicle accidents as well as collisions with other vehicles. SUVs have a higher center of gravity and a tendency to become unstable. Oftentimes SUVs roll over as a result of foreseeable driving events such as a blowout, flat tire, tread separation, lane change, quick maneuver to avoid another vehicle, person or object, or any abrupt driver input in responding to situations that may occur on the roadway.
We believe that vehicles should be designed and manufactured to remain upright and not rollover when common and foreseeable roadway events occur. Otherwise, occupants of the vehicle are exposed to catastrophic injuries as a result of a rollover event. At Halpern Santos & Pinkert, P.A. we have handled over 100 cases involving SUVs. We have approached these cases from many different perspectives, and have brought claims in connection with the following:
- Claim against adverse drivers and vehicles for causing the SUV to lose control;
- Claim against the manufacturer for defective design and manufacture;
- Claim against the manufacturer for instability;
- Claim against the manufacturer for a roof with insufficient strength;
- Claim against the manufacturer for defective seatbelts or airbags;
- Claim against the manufacturer for defective glass;
- Claim against the manufacturer for defective door latches;
- Claim against the manufacturer for motor vehicle fires; and
- Claim in connection with defective roadway design or construction.
If your loved one has suffered an injury in an accident involving an SUV please feel free to contact us so that we may analyze your case from many perspectives, and assist you in determining if there is a viable claim in connection with your SUV event that we can pursue on your behalf.