Fort Lauderdale Truck Accident Attorneys
Every year, thousands of people die in collisions between large trucks and smaller passenger vehicles. The vast majority of these accidents are due to driver negligence, and a significant percentage of them happen right here in Florida.
In 2012, Florida ranked behind just Texas and California on the list of states with the highest number of fatal large truck crashes. That year, more than 5 percent of all deadly truck accidents occurred on Florida roads.
Passenger vehicle occupants who manage to survive wrecks with big rigs rarely end up unscathed, and the resulting injuries can affect their lives in profound ways for years to come. Fortunately, they have the right to hold any liable parties financially responsible for their medical bills, lost income, and other damages.
If you were injured or lost a loved one in a collision with an 18-wheeler, you may be entitled to compensation for the losses you have incurred. The Fort Lauderdale truck accident attorneys at Halpern Santos & Pinkert will evaluate the circumstances of your crash to determine the most strategic way to proceed.
Our seasoned legal team has more than 60 years of combined experience helping clients put their lives back in order after sustaining debilitating injuries. Thanks to our dedication to protecting injured parties and our commitment to achieving justice, we have recovered more than $200 million in successful settlements and verdicts. Call 305-445-1111 to schedule a free case evaluation with a truck accident attorney in Fort Lauderdale.When Should I Hire a Fort Lauderdale Truck Accident Attorney?
If you were hurt in a crash with a reckless commercial driver, you should call an attorney as soon as possible. When it comes to personal injury claims involving collisions with tractor-trailers, much of the evidence is time-sensitive, which means it may not be around for long.
Motor carriers only have to preserve each driver's record-of-duty-status for six months. Likewise, if the wreck was captured on surveillance cameras, there is no guarantee that the owner of the footage will save it for an extended period of time. Calling a reputable truck accident attorney immediately to initiate the claims process will increase the likelihood that valuable evidence will still be available.Qualities to Look for in a Fort Lauderdale Personal Injury Lawyer
Most people who are looking for a personal injury attorney have never needed one before and do not know what to look for in legal counsel. It's important to perform due diligence when seeking representation because law is like any other profession in that it attracts some people for the right reasons and some for the wrong ones.
You can find a firm that is committed to protecting your best interests every step of the way by looking for a few essential qualities in their lawyers during the initial consultation. Every reputable attorney at every trustworthy practice should posses or exhibit:
- Relevant Experience: Personal injury law is an incredibly broad practice area that encompasses everything from dog bites to medical malpractice. Since truck accident cases can be especially complicated, it is critical to find a lawyer who has considerable experience resolving cases that are similar to yours.
- Honesty: A reliable attorney will never promise to achieve a particular outcome for clients. During the first meeting, you might discuss the potential value of your claim, but the firm should not commit to securing any amount of money on your behalf simply for hiring them.
- A Track Record of Success: Just because a firm has handled truck accident cases in the past does not mean they resolved them to each client's satisfaction. Ask about the attorney's track record, and look up reviews online to learn more about the kind of counsel the practice provides. At Halpern Santos & Pinkert, we are proud to tell clients about past successes and the multimillion-dollar settlements and verdicts we have recovered.
- Transparency: Lawyers who practice with the utmost professionalism will always be transparent about their fee structure. Hiring the most expensive firm does not necessarily guarantee the best counsel, but you should avoid hiring someone who does not disclose their fees or who promises to handle your case for a low flat rate.
The first step to building a strong truck accident claim in Florida is determining who may be liable for your damages, and the second is gathering evidence to prove fault. Potentially liable parties include:
- The commercial driver;
- The motor carrier;
- The government entity responsible for maintaining the roads where the wreck occurred;
- The mechanic responsible for maintaining the vehicle;
- The cargo loading company; and/or
- Other motorists who were involved in the crash.
Valuable types of evidence include:
- Photographs of the scene;
- Statements from accident reconstruction experts;
- Eyewitness testimony;
- Dash cam footage;
- Surveillance camera footage;
- Black box data;
- Driver's logs;
- Cell phone records;
- Toll booth receipts; and
- Weigh station logs.
Going to court against a large motor carrier that has considerably more resources than you may be intimidating and stressful, especially if you are recovering from serious injuries. Fortunately, most personal injury claims are settled before reaching trial.
If your case does happen to be one of the few that makes it to court, you can protect your best interests-and obtain peace of mind-by hiring a firm that has trial experience from the start. At Halpern Santos & Pinkert, we are proud to provide the personal touch of a small practice, but we have the resources to take on even the largest corporations and insurance companies in court.Call 305-445-1111 for a Free Consultation with a Fort Lauderdale Truck Accident Attorney
The truck accident attorneys at Halpern Santos & Pinkert are here to answer your questions and help you navigate every step of the claims process. Let us handle the logistics of your case so you can focus on recovering. To discuss your case in a free initial consultation, call us today at 305-445-1111 or use our Contact Form to reach us online.